Monday, November 1, 2010

Problem Solving Fridays



Every Friday we work on problem solving. We actually do problem solving (word problems) lots of other days, too. The problems we solve on Fridays have a monthly theme, and they really make us think.



When we do this, I turn the teaching over to the kids. They show us how they solved the problem. What we realize is, there are lots of ways to solve a problem.



Here's one we had from last Friday:

#17: Multiplication: Trick or Treat!

Marvin wants to plan the amount of candy to give out for Halloween. He figures that he will have 25 trick-or-treaters per hour for 4 hours. Each trick-or-treater will receive 3 pieces of candy.

How much candy will Marvin need for the evening?




Problem solving is important, because these are skills we use in everyday life. It is an important way to develop creativity and thinking skills. Problem solving is also part of our homework this month. Students are to work on two or three problems each homework night. Some students have additional problems. These additional pages are called Math Star. Some of the people who received these problems have been identified as Gifted and Talented, but I gave them to others as well, who I feel are good math students. On Fridays, I will go over some of these problems with students.

Please let me know how this work on problem solving goes. I will make modifications if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment